Sunday 2 December 2012

DmC/Devil May Cry news

New Dante, New attitude.

DmC/Devil May Cry
Developer: Ninja Theory
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: January 2013

Devil May Cry, one of the coolest series ever. I was introduced to the series through the internet, having read about it when I was younger while looking up information regarding Dante's Divine Comedy (Yes, I like reading old poetical stuff sometimes) & I was so impressed by what I read that I decided to get Devil May Cry 3. I've also played four, but unfortunately haven't played the first two yet.



Even so with my wiki-walking tendencies I'm quite versed in the Devil May Cry lore (scant as it is) and very fond of the series, with its hectic, stylish, yet precise combat and over the top shonen style storyline. So when it was that I first saw the trailer for the new Devil May Cry, or DmC, I found myself reacting somewhat like this:
Seen all over the internet, found on Tv Tropes.



To sum up what I was thinking:
THEY CHANGED HIM!!! WHY!!?? HE LOOKS DIFFERENT, IS DIFFERENT! THE WHOLE OLD STORY'S BEEN DROPPED NOW, THE COMBAT LOOKS CRAP! AND HE SMOKES! SMOKING AIN'T COOL!

Fortunately I decided to take a breath and relax. While the game looks quite good, there are some significant changes, and here's the rundown:
  • DmC is not being developed in house at Capcom, rather the folks over at Ninja Theory are behind it.
  • DmC won't run on the MT Framework engine of DMC4, rather the Unreal 3 engine. This means that DmC will have more dynamic environments than the previous games, such as dissappering walkways and closing alleyways. however Dante seems to move slower than he did in previous games, perhaps because of the engine change.
  • DmC is not set in the same universe as the 'classic' Devil May Cry; Dante and Vergil (they still couldn't spell that right), which means we could potentially see a situation where we have two different Devil May Cry series, like Mega Man.
  • Dante is now half angel half devil instead of a half devil half human. His lineage will play a part in the gameplay; by pressing one of the shoulder buttons players can transform his sword into a devilish battleaxe or an angelic scythe.
  • The game encourages aerial combat (something really difficult to pull off in the old series); Dante's devil trigger knocks enemies in the air letting him attack them relentlessly, and his devil trigger lasts longer in air.
  • Dante will not smoke in this game
  • AND MORE!
All in all, the game looks much better than I initially thought; combat is smooth, graphics are great, and Dante's still got a (fully) sick attitude. Stay tuned for this one folks, It's gonna be awesome.Still miss 'Classic Dante' though.

LET'S ROCK!


Sourced from: All over the internet but mainly Wikipedia (unprofessional, I know) the Devil May Cry Wikia, IGN, various trailers, Kotaku, etc, etc, et al, ad infinitum.


(Massively Late)EDIT!!! Originally written on and for Comikkazee, on the 28th of August, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment